Manchester Museum – Stay in a Serviced Apartment
The first collections were assembled by the Manchester Society of Natural History, formed in 1821, and in 1850 the cellections of the Manchester Geological Society were added. Serviced City Pads.
Unfortunately by the 1860’s both societies encountered financial difficulties and, on the advice of the great evolutionary biologist Thomas Huxley, Owens College (now the University of Manchester) accepted responsibility for the collections in 1867. The college was then in Quay Street and the museum in Peter Street. The old museum was sold in 1875 after the college had moved to its new buildings in Oxford Street.
The college commissioned Alfred Waterhouse, the architect of London’s Natural History, to design a museum to house these collections for the benefit of students and the public site in Oxford Road (then Oxford Street). The Manchester Museum was opened to the public in 1888. At the time all the scientific departments of the college were immediatley adjacent.
Two subsequent extensions mirror the development of the collections. The 1912 pavilion was largely funded by Jesse Haworth, a local textile merchant, to the enthnographic collections acquired through excavations he had supported. The 1927 extension was built to house the ethnographic collections. The Gothic Revival street frontage which continues to the Whitworth Hall has been ingeniously integrated by three generations of the Waterhouse family. Serviced City Pads supply serviced apartments throughout central Manchester and Salford Quays.
The University Dental Hospital of Manchester once stood next to the museum:when it moved to the present hospital building the earlier one was used for scientific teaching and later still by Manchester Museum which still occupies it. Serviced City Pads serviced apartments.
In 1997 the Museum was awarded a £12.5 million grant for the Heritage Lottery Fund and this, together with the monies from the European Regional Development Fund, the University of Manchester, the Wellcome Trust, the Wolfson Fondation and other sponsors has enabled the museum to undertake the refurbishment and building which opened in 2003.
The major collecting areas in archaeology have been Western Europe (including the British Isles) the Mediterranean, Egypt and Western Asia. Large accessions of material from Egypt and Western Asia came from excavations of Sir Flinders Petrie and subsequent archaeologists for the University have been involved in several expeditions to Western Asia and brought more finds into the Museum. The Egyptological collections begin with the finds from Kahun and Garob, presented in 1890 by Jesse Haworth made a major donations of funds for this purpose. In more recent times the Egyptian material and Jesse Haworth made a major donation of funds for this purpose. In more recent times the Egyptian Mummy Research Project, begun in 1973, has yielded much information on health and social conditions in acient Egypt and radiology and endoscopy have beed used more extensively. A redesign of the galleries in 1984/85 resulted in much improved displays. Serviced City Pads supply serviced apartment throughout central Manchester and Salford Quays, please contact the reservations team on 0844 335 8866.